Interested in learning how to make a website? The good news is that it’s not a super complicated process as long as you’re okay with having a simple site! Even without serious technical skills, you can create a website from scratch.
There are some complex methods that require innovative skills, but there are also those simpler tools that make creating your own website a smooth process without needing knowledge from web design school. We cover the three most common methods and steps to take when considering how to create a website in today’s Design Tips blog!
STEP 1: CHOOSE YOUR DOMAIN NAME (URL)
The first thing you have to do is choose your URL, also called your domain name. In layman’s terms, this is your “www” address. In order to get yours, you will have to register the URL for at least one year. There are thousands of companies that register them. We recommend buying your domain name from the same company you purchase web hosting from when you decide to make a website (next step).
STEP 2: BUY WEB HOSTING FOR YOUR WEBSITE
When you make a website, it has to connect to the Internet in order for others to be able to search and gain access to it. That’s what a web host company does. It “hosts” the files connected to your website on its server. And, because the website hosting company has a direct connection to the Internet, surfers are able to see your site online.
What to Look For in a Website Hosting Company
These are some of the things you may want to look for when choosing a web host company before you begin:
- Simple to use platform
- Various template designs
- 24/7 technical support
- Free email on domain
- No technical skills needed
- Easy shopping cart integration
- Free traffic reporting and statistics
- Unlimited bandwidth & disk space
- Easy WordPress installation (see next section for more on this)
STEP 3: BUILD YOUR WEBSITE
There are numerous options to consider when building a website. Some are expensive, while others are absolutely free. The complexity of the site will be determined by the amount of technical skills you have in the website building department. Here are three of the most common ways to build a website:
- Use a Content Management System (CMS) – There are numerous CMS providers these days. The most popular, commonly used CMS is WordPress. It’s free, and it comes with well over 2,000 themes. With WordPress, you can login and manage your website from anywhere, as long as you have online access. Plus, your site will be customizable. Even a beginner in website building can create a WordPress site fairly easily!
- Use a Website Building Application – Website building is fairly simple when using programs developed for this purpose. Two popular choices are MS Publisher and Adobe Dreamweaver. With these software tools, you generally go through the steps of how to create a website from scratch. You will need to know a little bit of HTML coding, but it’s not that hard to learn and definitely easier than it looks. Get more familiar with these tools by taking web design classes at a web design school.
- Develop a Professional Website – If you want to build more complex websites, you will need to learn web design and website building. At web design school, students learn how to use complex HTML coding. Once you learn web development using these skills, you can start building websites for a living.
FIND OUT MORE ABOUT THE PROGRAMS AT F.I.R.S.T. INSTITUTE
Here at F.I.R.S.T. Institute, we strive every day to be of service to our students and provide them with the very best that we can offer — from a faculty made up of experienced industry professionals to a broad spectrum of courses and a dedicated Career Development department, we do all we can to ensure that our students receive the best possible educational opportunities. We give students access to everything they need to succeed, both in class and on the job.
If you’d like to know more about our programs, please give us a call or send us an email! Our admissions team are standing by to answer any questions you might have.