Congratulations! You’ve graduated from F.I.R.S.T. Institute and are on your way to a new, exciting digital arts career. You have the training you need to get a job in your field. Now, it’s time to get started on your job hunt.
5 Steps to Finding a Job After GraduationReady to make the most of your education by finding a job in your industry? Then, follow these five steps below to help you prepare for the job-hunting process:
1. Organize Your PortfolioAs a graduate, you have already put in a good amount of work with the class projects that you should be able to display your capabilities to potential employers. Now is the time to clean up those bodies’ work and get them ready for real-world presentations. Along with your resume, this is one of the most important steps in making a great first impression. While applying to some positions may not require you to use certain aspects of your skillsets. Being able to demonstrate that you are a multifaceted individual will set you apart from the competition. So be sure to have as much in your portfolio as possible and for it to be the best version of work you could present.
2. Update Your ResumeLooking for a simple way to format your resume? Use the template you were given during the Career Development Course. Can’t find it? Don’t worry. Just email us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we’ll gladly send you another copy. Make sure your resume includes school projects and any internships you’ve completed while attending F.I.R.S.T. Institute. If you have relevant work experience, be sure to include that as well. For assistance, see Step-by-Step Instructions on How to Create a Digital Media Resume That Stands Out from the Rest.
3. Set Up Alerts on Job SitesRegister on the top job sites online. Make sure that your profile is 100% complete on each site. Then, set up email alerts so you’ll be notified of job openings that meet your skills set and needs, as soon as they’re posted. Here are some popular jobs sites used by digital arts professionals that allow you to set up email alerts:
4. Schedule an Appointment with our Career Development DepartmentThe F.I.R.S.T. Institute Career Development Department was established to help students prepare for job searches. This department works diligently to create awareness among relevant employers. That way, employers look to our graduates as one of their major sources of internship and staffing opportunities. Advisors are here to meet the needs of our alumni. Advisors will review your resume, help you develop better job interviewing techniques and address concerns you have related to your first job interview. Students become eligible for access to services provided by the Career Development Department after completing half of their programs. Some of the valuable services provided by the Career Development Department include:
- Resume review services
- Job readiness development
- Interviewing and networking assistance
- Internships and employment opportunities