If you’re looking for portfolio tips for beginning graphic designers such as yourself, you might be feeling overwhelmed. It’s not always easy to get a graphic design portfolio ready for a job or internship interview when you have no previous work experience. That factor doesn’t mean you can’t make a portfolio, especially if you have graphic design school experience! It simply means you need to be creative. Read today’s Graphic Design Tips blog for the low down on making your graphic design portfolio the best it can be.
OPEN YOUR MIND AND BE CREATIVE!
When you’re considering portfolio designs for beginner graphic designers, your options may seem very limited. Don’t fret, though! You just have to be willing to open your mind up to unique ideas you might not have considered before. Here are five tips to start your graphic design portfolio as a beginner in the design industry:
- Create some samples – If you are bone dry on material for your portfolio you could always just create some sample designs. Yes, you will be doing the graphic design work for free, but just remember that it’s an investment in your future. The ability to say “Here is something I designed” will be impressive to your interviewer, even if it isn’t widely recognized work. Potential clients will be impressed as long as it’s quality work.
- Offer free work for family and friends – Create free graphic designs for friends and family who could use some exposure. A great example would be if your mother had a baking company: you could use your graphic design skills to design her an awesome business logo and business cards. Not only will she appreciate the effort, you’ll have a new portfolio piece and she’ll brag to everyone she shows the business cards to. This is free marketing, advertising and promotion for you all bundled into one.
- Use rejected work – This is one of those portfolio tips that is a bit controversial, and you have to be very choosy about the piece you decide to use. Remember, just because someone didn’t like what you did does not make it a bad piece, maybe it just didn’t fit their parameters for a certain project. Find the pieces that you know are good and stick them in your portfolio. This can do wonders to show employers your level of talent!
- Start your own project – There may be a time early in your career when you decide you want to start working on a big project. Be careful not to give away any crucial parts of your plan, but you can use some samples that you have been working on if you are in a jam and need some extra material for your portfolio.
- Learn graphic design – This is a long term investment that can change your life completely. First of all, you will be getting training to do something you love. Secondly, going to graphic design school will give you the opportunity to create tons of material for your graphic design portfolio. Each of your required graphic design classes will have you making pieces that are perfect for filling your first portfolio, all under the guidance of design industry professionals who can steer your work in the right direction. You can use these designs to impress potential clients in the future.
LEARN AT AN ACCREDITED GRAPHIC DESIGN PROGRAM!
The best way to get professional knowledge and training in this field is to attend a graphic design school. There are graphic design programs that teach you all about the industry, and F.I.R.S.T. Institute is a top choice. In graphic design programs like ours, you can learn graphic design and design industry trends to ready you for this exciting field. You’ll even learn how to use your work to develop a killer graphic design portfolio!
From a faculty made up of experienced design industry professionals to a broad spectrum of courses and a dedicated Career Development department, F.I.R.S.T. Institute is an industry leader in graphic design education and training. Learn from the accredited Web Development and Graphic Design school at F.I.R.S.T. Institute and jump start a career in graphic design today!