When considering all of the possible audio careers at your fingertips after graduating from an audio engineering school, it’s easy to become overwhelmed. But don’t worry, having a plethora of options to choose from is a great problem to have! Today, we’re breaking down 5 audio engineering career path options that you might explore when you become an audio engineer.
5 DIFFERENT AUDIO ENGINEERING CAREER PATHS
If you’ve just graduated from school for audio engineering and are exploring your options in the audio industry, check out these five jobs to help you choose the best audio engineering career path for you:
1. AUDIO POST PRODUCTION
Ever wondered who does the soundtrack for movies or your favorite TV show? Well, that’s what a person in audio post production does. It’s the process of creating a soundtrack for a visual program.
Since the era of silent films ended, filmmakers began improving sound and its quality, and they’ve been doing it ever since. In TV, audio was originally live, like the visual program it was part of then.
Later, TV evolved to involve “videotaped” and “filmed” programming which increased the need for audio post production. Today, it’s hard to imagine any film or TV show without it.
2. ASSISTANT AUDIO ENGINEER
An assistant audio engineer’s duties are different depending on the studio. This person usually starts on the bottom of the business ladder and slowly makes their way up.
In the beginning, job tasks will include:
- Cleaning up
- Running errands
- Helping in any other way possible
An assistant audio engineer has to do all the setting up and preparation in the studio, before, after, and during the recording session and can be a great starting audio engineering job for recent grads.
3. LIVE SOUND ENGINEER
Live sound engineers have the most interesting audio engineering career on this list. That’s because it usually requires attending concerts for a living. Some jobs tasks include:
- Control the sound at live events, such as theater performances and music concerts
- Operate microphones, amplifiers, and control desks
- Might also provide background music and sound effects
- Sometimes, you would also have to deal with lighting
- Deciding exactly where in the script any sound effects, music, and changes in sound level are needed
- Operating the sound desk during shows
- Following a sound plan and cues from the deputy stage manager
4. AUDIO VISUAL TECHNICIAN
Some of the job duties of an audio visual technician include:
- Operate and maintain equipment used to amplify, record, and display sound and images at live events.
- Provide technical support for teleconferences, webinars, and distance-learning classes.
In order to become one, you need proper education from a good Audio Engineering school. Many employers require education in audio visual technology or a related field. Being an audio technician is extremely rewarding in this day and age.
Some requirements for this audio engineering career include:
- Knowledge of camera and lighting techniques, and familiarity with editing equipment and software is essential
- Have to be creative and flexible with strong communication skills
- Must be able to sit and stand for long periods of time, and have good hearing and eyesight
5. FREELANCE AUDIO ENGINEER
How To Become a Freelance Audio Engineer
If being an employee isn’t really your thing, then you should consider freelancing, where you are your own boss and set your own schedule. Here are the steps to starting a freelance career as an audio engineer:
- Step 1– You’ll need some training in audio engineering. You can do that by going to a good audio engineering school.
- Step 2 – Get equipment and assemble your own basic audio engineering and music production studio.
AUDIO CAREERS ARE WAITING FOR YOU!
Ready to get the training you need to become an audio engineer? F.I.R.S.T. Institute is an educational source for higher education in the fields of audio engineering and music production. Check out F.I.R.S.T. Institute’s Recording Arts and Show Production program to find out more. You could be headed toward your dream audio engineering job in less than 11 months! The future has never been so attainable.