As a graduate of F.I.R.S.T. Institute, you already have the education you need to land a new job in your industry. Whether you plan to work for a large corporation or small business or work as a freelancer, you’ll need certain tools to help you succeed in the digital arts world. In this guide, we’re discussing career development tips that will help you on your new journey.
10 Tools to Help You Develop a Successful Career
These are the top ten tools every F.I.R.S.T. Institute graduate should utilize as you develop within your field.
- Business Cards – This is one of the most effective direct marketing tools around. They are handy little paper gadgets that you can conveniently store and present to others on a whim. As a digital arts professional, you want business cards that pop, and are pleasing to the eyes. Make sure to use high-quality paper too!
- Resume – The first impression you’ll make on a potential employer as a job candidate is your resume. How it’s presented will have a lot to do with how it’s received. For more information, read our Step-by-Step Instructions on How to Create a Digital Media Resume That Stands Out from the Rest.
- Digital Portfolio – What is the purpose of a portfolio? It’s used to highlight samples of some of your most impressive work. Your portfolio should also showcase achievements, values and life experiences relevant to the industry or job for which you’re applying. Portfolios are often viewed by potential clients and investors as well. Read How to Create a Digital Media Portfolio, Step-by-Step and Stand Out From The Crowd for further instructions.
- Portfolio Hosted Online – Make sure your digital portfolio can be found online. This allows you to market yourself to others using a digitally-rich platform. Feature works completed in school, at work and on your own to show your qualifications and skills.
- LinkedIn Account – LinkedIn is currently the largest social network designed specifically for professionals. This network helps to connect you with industry experts and potential employers. About 87% of recruiters use LinkedIn to help them find job candidates online. Make sure your profile is complete and includes your work history and skill sets.
- Professional Appearance – You should maintain a professional appearance during interviews, as well as when dealing with clients face-to-face. Also, keep in mind that recruiters and potential employers tend to Google job candidates. Keep a professional appearance on social media as well.
- Internships – Successful internships show that you have real-world experience in your industry. Graduates with internships on their resumes increase their chances of landing a full-time job after graduation. Don’t look at interning as providing free labor, instead, think of it as volunteering your services for future career success.
- Entry-Level Employment – As a graduate of F.I.R.S.T. Institute, you already possess the education, skills, knowledge and real-world experience (through coursework and internships) you need to land entry-level employment in your industry. At this point it’s up to you to use what you have to woo potential employers and clients into giving you the opportunity to show off what you know.
- Meetup App – What is Meetup? It’s a social networking app that helps facilitate offline group meetings in various locations around the world. With this app, you can find and join groups created based on common interests, such as digital arts careers or hobbies. Take a moment and download the Meetup app now.
- Networking – You can find many job opportunities through networking alone. You’ll have opportunities to meet potential employers, recruiters and other people with valuable referrals. Be sure to attend F.I.R.S.T. Institute and other networking events, company open houses and Meetups in your local area.